Complex and yummy: Zucchini Boats with Lentil and Walnut Pâté
These hearty and complex winter squashes are a treat for the taste buds. They weren’t very complicated to make but they were extremely flavorful! I could eat that pâté by the spoonful!
Zucchini Boats with Lentil and Walnut Pâté
1 T. avocado or olive oil
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 c. rd lentils
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, choppe
1 c. vegetable stock
1/4 c. shelled walnuts, chopped
1 T. rapeseed or canola oil
2 1/2 t. dates, chopped
1 t. apple cider vinegar
1 t. yeast extract
1 t. soy milk
1 t. chopped thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Make the pâté first. Fill a medium saucepan wi cold water, add lentils, and bring to a boil.
2. Drain the lentils. Rinse under cold water, then return to the pan. Add the onion, garlic, and vegetables stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Drain the lentils again if still watery. Stir in the remaining pâté ingredients. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
^ I did not do this I just ate it chunky
4. Slice a thin sliver from the bottom of the zucchini so that they sit flat on a plate. Cut a rectangle almost the length and width of the zucchini through the skin on the top side. Carefully remove the rectangle of skin, then scoop out the flesh with a spoon. (Freeze the flesh for later!)
5. Mix together the avocado/olive oil and the soy sauce, then brush it on the tops of the zucchini boats. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Remove the zucchini from the oven, fill with the lentil and walnut pâté and return to the oven for 10 minutes, or until heated through.
6 serve with a mixed salad, red onion marmalade, and/or warm oatcakes.
The pâté was easy to make, but it took a while to thicken and it was a pain to watch. I had fun cutting and zucchini! The small strip you cut off the bottom really keeps them from rolling around the tray!
Forgoing the blender, I used chopped walnut pieces in the recipe, and it was delicious as a slightly chunkier pâté! I loved it! Definitely a “make again” recipe!